The first documented information about Reggiolo date back to 1044 when Beatrice di Canossa, Matilde’s mother, purchased six estates from a certain Gutfredo for onethousand silver liras. These lands included Razolo, today Reggiolo, its tower and the church of Saint Venerio. In 1077, Matilde di Canossa and Pope Gregory VII lived in Bondeno di Ròncore (today, Bondanazzo di Reggiolo). There, the Pope issued a papal edictconcerning the Benedictine Rule of Polirone. Matilde remembered the estate whichremained in her heart and she spent several periods there, from 1096 to 1115. In the last part of her life, she decided to make it her own residence and from October 1114 to July1115 she lived in Bondeno villa, there she issued several decrees together with her last will and testament until strength failed her. There she died on 24 July 1115.